Published January 9, 2023
Last Updated: January 9 2023
The Chogyam Trungpa Digital Library is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information of its users, donors, staff and other stakeholders. We value the trust of those we deal with, and of the public, and recognize that maintaining this trust requires that we be transparent and accountable in how we treat the information that you choose to share with us.
The Chogyam Trungpa DIgital Library gathers and uses personal information. Personal information is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual. Anyone from whom we collect such information can expect that it will be carefully protected and that any use of, or other dealing with, this information is subject to consent.
The Information We Collect and Use
- We collect Personal Data when you sign up for email newsletters. Personal Data may contain your name, email, contact information, your location, as well as other information you provide.
- We collect billing information when processing a donation.
- We log your visits and use of the site such as when you view or click on content, perform a search, listen to audio or watch videos.
- We collect data through “cookies,” as detailed below.
- We may also obtain information about you through third-party sources as permitted by applicable law, such as public databases, social media platforms, and marketing partners.
Examples of How The Digital Library Uses Your Data
- To send you targeted updates based on your interests.
- To respond to your requests or comments.
- To understand our users better in order to improve the Digital Library.
- To monitor the safety and security of the Digital Library service and platform.
- To use data and content about users for communications promoting membership, funding drives, and engagement with us across other platforms.
- We may disclose your Personally Identifiable Information if disclosure is required by law or as part of a lawsuit or government investigation or proceeding, or in order to permit us to exercise or preserve our legal rights or take action regarding potentially illegal activities or to protect the safety of any person.
We observe the following practices when collecting, maintaining and using personal information:
An individual’s consent is required regarding the collection and proposed use of personal information when information is collected. Consent can be either express or implied and can be provided directly by the individual or by an authorized representative. Express consent can be given orally, electronically or in writing. Implied consent is consent that can reasonably be inferred from an individual’s action or inaction. An individual’s consent is required before confidential information is released to outside parties.
The Digital Library website uses persistent cookies within visiting browsers to enable the functions of the website and for tracking performance. Specifically, cookies are used the following ways:
- Preserving visitor sessions on the site (e.g. preserving data between steps of a process; and ending the session after a period of inactivity)
- Enabling web analytic tools (such as Google Analytics – see below)
Cookies are used anonymously and without storing Personally Identifiable Information (PII). Visitors that wish to opt-out of cookies should review the help documentation for their browser software to decline or selectively decline cookies.
This DIgital Library uses Google Analytics to track performance. Google Analytics uses persistent cookies to track visitor sessions, visitors across multiple sessions, and referral sources to our site. We also track the performance of promotional links to our site using Google Analytics. In compliance with the Google Analytics Terms of Service, at no time is personally identifiable information (PII) passed to Google Analytics. Note that Google Analytics stores its data within the United States of America and is subject to US laws. We use this data to understand site performance to serve you better. Those wishing to opt out of Google Analytics data collection should use the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
The collection of personal information is limited to that which is relevant and necessary to our programs and fundraising efforts. The Chogyam Trungpa Digital Library shall not make unwarranted or intrusive inquiries into a donor or prospect’s gift history or personal life.
Personal Identifying Information In the Content
Some of our content – video, audio, transcripts – may occasionally contain personally identifiable information embedded in the archival materials from which the site content was derived. The policies herein apply to users, staff and stakeholders of The Chogyam Trungpa Digital Library of that material.
Limited Use, Disclosure, and Retention
Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
Personal information shall be as complete, accurate and up-to-date as possible. Donors and other stakeholders are encouraged to review, correct and update personal information.
Personal information gathered by The Chogyam Trungpa Digital Library is kept in confidence.The Chogyam Trungpa Digital Library personnel shall be authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained.
Appropriate physical and electronic measures shall be used to ensure personal information is secure. Access to records shall be limited to those who require such information to fulfill their job responsibilities. Special protection shall be given to all records pertaining to anonymous donors. The confidentiality of sensitive records shall continue after the relationship with the individual has ended.
Donors who request that their name and/or the amount of the gift not be publicly released shall remain anonymous.
Upon request, individuals shall be given access to their personal information, as collected and stored by The Chogyam Trungpa Digital Library.